Monday 13 January 2014

Golden Globes winners and losers

The Golden Globes threw up a bunch of surprises last night and having bet £10 on various outcomes, it seems I have ended up losing about £1.40. The main reason for that is that I put £3 on the favourite for Best Actor in a Drama, Chiwetel Ejifor. I was sure Ejiofor was a guaranteed win after seeing 12 Years A Slave 
on Friday night. Having now seen Dallas Buyers Club, I can see why the competition was so severe.

I also lost a pound by betting on The Wolf of Wall Street to win Best Picture Comedy/Musical over the favourite American Hustle. Again, I haven't seen TWOWS but I suspected that American Hustle would not be winning much except maybe in the acting categories. Oops!


Luckily I did believe in Amy Adams to win the Best Actress in a Comedy/Musical and I had put £2 on her. She was the favourite so I didn't win much but still, it's better than a kick in the pants and made up for losing money on Ejiofor and The Wolf of Wall Street.

I also won a bit on Leo DiCaprio for winning Best Actor in a Comedy/Musical for TWOWS and also for Jared Leto for winning Best Supporting Actor for Dallas Buyers Club. Again, I think both of these were the favourites and I only put a very small amount on each so no big champagne popping wins for me!


I also lost money by betting on Lupita Nyong'o over Jennifer Lawrence for Best Supporting Actress. These were the biggest surprises of the night for me; Ejiofor and Nyong'o losing out to Matthew McConaughey and Jennifer Lawrence. As much as I love Lawrence, I'm gobsmacked she beat Nyong'o. Thank goodness 12 Years A Slave won Best Picture or I may have had a small screaming fit.

Anyway enough about me and my silly movie awards gambling addiction, here is the list of winners (almost all of them anyway) taken from The Telegraph:

Best motion picture (drama)
12 Years A Slave
Best TV series (drama)
Breaking Bad 

Best Actor in a motion picture (drama)
Matthew McConaughey, Dallas Buyers Club

Best Actress in a motion picture (drama)
Cate Blanchett, Blue Jasmine 
   
Best Director – motion picture
Alfonso Cuarón, Gravity

Best motion picture (musical or comedy)
American Hustle

Best Actress in a motion picture, musical or comedy
Amy Adams, American Hustle

Best Actor in a motion picture, musical or comedy  
Leonardo Dicaprio, Wolf of Wall Street

Best Animated Feature film 
Frozen

Best Foreign Language Film  
The Great Beauty (Italy)

Best Actor in a TV series, drama
Bryan Cranston, Breaking Bad 

Best Supporting Actress in a motion picture
Jennifer Lawrence, American Hustle

What did you think of the winners this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join me in conversation! Please leave a comment on your own pondering.