Friday 30 November 2012

The Hunt (Thomas Vinterberg, 2012) Review

Definitely one of my favourite films of the year, Thomas Vinterberg's brilliantly bleak Danish drama The Hunt stars Mads Mikkelsen and is an absolute must-see. I have reviewed it in full over at Static Mass Emporium and you can read the review here.


I loved it so much I had to immediately go and watch Vinterberg's 1998 Dogme film Festen which I had been meaning to see for a long time but had never got round to. Luckily it was free to stream at Lovefilm. It was another absolutely fantastic family drama that centred around allegations of sexual abuse. I'm not sure why Vinterberg is so hung up on this subject matter but he sure knows how to elicit powerful performances from his casts.

Mads Mikkelsen is exceptional in The Hunt and I hope he is recognised this year at the Oscars for his performance. Thomas Bo Larsen gives exquisite performances in both Festen and The Hunt and I'm surprised this guy isn't making movies in Hollywood by now.


Here's a quote from my review of The Hunt at Static Mass Emporium: “It shows the devastating result of one little seed of doubt and mistrust being planted in just one person’s mind. Though it’s filled with boys being boys and the consequences of their behaviour, it’s a little girl’s little lie and her headteacher’s nagging doubts that cause the most devastating impact.”

It's an absolutely gripping film that has superb performances and deserves to be seen by a wide audience. I hope subtitles will not ruin The Hunt's chances of success at the box office.

Seen it? What did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join me in conversation! Please leave a comment on your own pondering.