Wednesday 20 June 2012

Battle of the Joseph Gordon-Levitt's

If any of you voted in my previous blockbuster duel that pitted Prometheus VS The Dark Knight Rises, you might remember how this works.  If not, here's the exceptionally simple rules.  If you could only see one of these two films in the cinema, which would it be?

This time it's a battle of the upcoming Joseph Gordon-Levitt starring action-thrillers.

In the red corner: 

Premium Rush: UK Release 14th October

It's written and directed by David Koepp.  He hasn't directed a huge amount but Stor of Echoes was a great film.  However his strength lies more in his writing and though his credits are a bit of a mixed bag, there are some absolutely cracking thrillers; Toy Soldiers, Jurassic Park and Panic Room being most notable in my eyes.  It's also got Michael Shannon on villain duties which is a huge plus.




It's going to make riding bikes extremely exciting!

And in the blue corner:

Looper: UK Release 28th September


This one is written and directed by Rian Johnson and re-teams the star and director of excellent indie high-school neo-noir Brick.  It's also got Bruce Willis and time travel.  Need I say more?

Here's hoping for some smart, fun science fiction!






So there are your choices.  If you could only see Premium Rush or Looper in the cinema, which would it be?  Before I saw the trailer for Premium Rush and found out Michael Shannon was in it, I'd have gone for Looper no competition.  Now I'm quite torn.  I suspect this one might be a bit one sided with a lot of votes for Looper but I'm looking forward to hearing your responses.

23 comments:

  1. LOOPER... I reckon anyway. Looks brillo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looper takes the lead with one. Thanks for voting Scott!

      Delete
  2. It's a tricky one. For one thing, JGL's face remains untouched in Premium Rush! And it looks like a pretty insanely fun ride.

    But I am going to have to go with Looper. It's the combination of JGL, Rian Johnson, Bruce Willis and time travel. Can't go wrong there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I can understand that. It must be a shame to see his face all wierded up in Looper! Two votes for Looper!

      Delete
  3. Tough call, not because of Levitt or even the movies but for me it comes down to Michael Shannon vs Emily Blunt. I'd probably see Premium Rush.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay one for Premium Rush. Shannon beats Blunt!

      Delete
  4. Think I'll be more excited seeing him in Premium Rush, I usually like him more being a casual character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another for Premium Rush! That's two all! Exciting!

      Delete
  5. While Premium Rush sounds great (I really enjoy Stir of Echoes) I have to go with Looper. Love me some time travel movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I love time travel too but based on the trailers, I'm just still very torn. Loving the look of the bike action in PR. That's 3-2 to Looper!

      Delete
  6. Has to be Looper for me. I just love Rian Johnson so much as a filmmaker, and I am like a moth to a porch light when it comes to time travel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand your preference just from Brick, but I never saw The Brothers Bloom! 4-2 to Looper!

      Delete
  7. It's raining JGL! :D I'm curious about Looper and well of course TDKR, but that Premium Rush one looks meh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess that's another vote for Looper! 5-2.

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Let me say that I love JGL. He is pretty much one of my favorite actors in my generation so there is a 90% chance that I would see anything he's in.

    However, concept is a big part of making a movie a standout among other movies. For me, Premium Rush, unfortunately, looks like nothing more than a cool looking but silly B action movie on a bike. Looper has a more exciting feel with a very interesting plot of coming in contact with your future self.

    Looper all the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PR does indeed look like it will probably be pretty silly but then I think Looper could also turn out a bit silly. Even though it seems to take itself very seriously in the trailer. So 6-2 to Looper so far!

      Delete
  10. Of the two, I would see Premium Rush. Mainly because didn't like Brick, and Looper seems to be a little bit of an inception-rip-off?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay another vote for Premium Rush! That will be 8-3 then.

      Delete

Join me in conversation! Please leave a comment on your own pondering.