Wednesday 15 May 2013

Trio of Trailers: The World's End, Captain Phillips, The Great Gatsby

Three trailers have caught my attention today and I thought I would share them just in case you haven't seen any of them. They are The World's End, Captain Phillips and The Great Gatsby.

The World's End

The hugely anticipated trailer to the Cornetto trilogy closer is finally here. The World's End has possibly one of my favourite casts ever and almost certainly the best British cast in a very long time. Joining Simon Pegg and Nick Frost are Paddy Considine, Eddie Marsan and Martin Freeman making up the group of mates on an epic pub crawl that just might also be the end of the world. I also noticed a very brief moment of Mark Heap (who was excellent in Pegg, Wright and Frost's TV show Spaced and also appeared with Pegg in the brilliant sketch show Big Train) who is a legend and will no doubt be hilarious. This is the first time I've seen all the shiny eyed people and so the trailer has got me more excited than ever for this.



Captain Phillips

Ever since I heard Paul Greengrass was making another based on real life drama, I was excited. I thought his United 93 was one of the most gripping, terrifying, realistic, horrifying and emotional films I have ever seen. His record with real life events is impeccable with his movies being more like documentary reconstructions than fiction films. Check out Bloody Sunday if you haven't. The story of a real life hijacking of a ship by pirates, Tom Hanks stars as the titular Captain Phillips. I hadn't heard of this story until I read about the film but it sounds like a perfect narrative for a blockbuster and I couldn't think of anyone better than Greengrass to bring it to the screen. Check out the trailer:



The Great Gatsby

Finally I bring you the trailer for Baz Luhrmann's adaptation of The Great Gatsby. Not because this is a new trailer but because I believe it is opening the Cannes Film Festival tonight and also I'm seeing it in Leicester Square tonight. I don't really know what to think about this. I love Leo and I loved Romeo and Juliet but other than that, I'm not a big Luhrmann fan. I know nothing about the book or the older adaptations so am going into this with only the little knowledge I have from the trailer. It certainly looks and sounds pretty!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Join me in conversation! Please leave a comment on your own pondering.