Monday 16 December 2013

New reviews: Anchorman 2, Only God Forgives and more

Anchorman 2 is released on Wednesday and I got to see it on Friday 6th December for Filmoria. Unfortunately there was one of those pesky embargo things on it until 5pm today so I was not allowed to share my review until now. My review of Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues is at Filmoria here.


While everyone will be pleased to have the news team back together, I think people may be disappointed if they set their expectations too high. I hope I'm wrong as I know people love the first movie so hopefully they will get a kick out of this one too. It seemed like people were loving it in the screening I went to. There was loads of laughter and I did wonder if the fact I had had a bad day, made me enjoy it less. This is why film criticism is such a tricky subjective business. I will be keeping an eye on reviews of this one to see if I'm in the minority or if other people found it to be a bit less exciting than the original.


I also recently reviewed a few DVD's for Filmoria including the highly weird Only God Forgives, enlightening documentary When the Dragon Swallowed the Sun and TV series Low Winter Sun. I wasn't expecting to like Only God Forgives as I might be the only person in the world to think that Drive is over rated. Only God Forgives has more of those interminable pregnant pauses and loads more Gosling moping. It looks good but wow is it weird... and not in a particularly engaging way. Check out my review of Only God Forgives at Filmoria here.


When the Dragon Swallowed the Sun is the kind of important documentary that no one will probably see unfortunately and Low Winter Sun is going to suffer in comparison to other recent AMC dramas. I also got the chance to interview the director of When the Dragon Swallowed the Sun, Dirk Simon and you can check out the interview at Filmoria here. Check out my review of When the Dragon Swallowed the Sun here and my review of Low Winter Sun Season 1 here.

More reviews from I Love That Film:

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

Don Jon

Machete Kills, The Conspiracy, Snitch and more

Ender's Game

Sunshine on Leith

How I Live Now

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join me in conversation! Please leave a comment on your own pondering.