Thursday 20 December 2012

Analysing La Haine

La Haine is a powerful and unforgettable French drama about three youths, one gun and living on the outskirts of a society that hates you. I write about it a lot here at I Love That Film and elsewhere, having contributed an article to Media Magazine comparing it to City of God and most recently writing for Static Mass Emporium analysing the brilliant open ending.


If you have seen the film, please head over to Static Mass Emporium to find out why I find this to be one of the best film endings of all time. It might frustrate some but for others it will ensure that you can never forget this film and its cast of wonderfully conflicted characters. I start the article by arguing 'Open endings are a divisive tool that can leave an audience enraged, frustrated, gasping for breath, shocked, disappointed or yearning for more.' Hopefully La Haine's final scene will leave you feeling a little bit of all these emotions.


Check out my deconstruction of the final scene of La Haine at Static Mass Emporium here.

I also found the recent British film My Brother the Devil had many similarities with La Haine and I compared the two films in my review of My Brother The Devil at Filmoria here.


I teach about La Haine on A level Film Studies for the section on world cinema and we compare it to City of God and Tsotsi, two other powerful dramas dealing with issues of exclusion, poverty and violence.

Here is an exam answer on the visual style of La Haine, City of God and to a lesser extent, Tsotsi.

Here is an exam answer on the social and political context of La Haine, City of God and Tsotsi.

I wondered what would have become of the characters after the closing minutes of the film and in their futures in this post about making belated sequels.

I considered why La Haine is a must see film over at Filmoria.

Finally I named it as my second favourite film of the 90s and you can see my top 30 of that decade here.

In the future, once I get finished on my first book, I would love to one day write a book about La Haine but for now I will make do with writing about it as much as I can and for anyone who is willing to publish something on it. If you're a fan, let me know why in the comments below. If you haven't seen it, I urge you to. Forget the subtitles, the black and white and the lack of stars. This is cinema at it its best.


A2 Film Studies exam answers:

Is Fight Club a film about power and control rather than liberation?

Analysing La Haine

World Cinema: Distinctive Visual Features

World Cinema: Social and Political Context

WJEC A2 Film Studies Exam Practice Section B

A2 Film Studies Exam Practice Section B


No comments:

Post a Comment

Join me in conversation! Please leave a comment on your own pondering.